The Beauty of YouTube
What do you use YouTube for? Sending hilarious videos of people embarrassing themselves or a cat snuggling its kitten? Maybe you used it last weekend to look up a video on how to tie a bowtie for your boyfriend for a wedding, or maybe you just like playing music videos in the background of all your killer parties.
What could you be using YouTube for? Becoming a makeup artist extraordinaire, obvs. Makeup has always been one of my passions (that collection has since doubled or maybe even tripled…oops), and I recently got into the freelance industry as a side job, and the first question everyone asks is “How did you learn so much about makeup?” The answer is partly that I have spent an ungodly number of hours sitting in front of a mirror practicing the perfect cut crease and wandering the aisles of Sephora, but the answer I usually give (and one that is probably more accurate) is that I am a self-proclaimed YouTube makeup tutorial addict.
Image source Favim
You can learn ANYTHING from these “beauty gurus” on YouTube, from how to self-tan without streaks and rock a purple smokey eye without looking like you’ve been in a fight to how to get that perfect Kim Kardashian contour or J.Lo glow. You can even watch reviews and swatches of any products you’re thinking about buying, so you’ll never have that moment of complete self-loathing when you realize you spent more than you would on date night on an eyeshadow palette that might as well be chalk.
Next time you’re in the mood for step-by-step instructions on how improve your makeup skills or are just looking for a little creative inspiration (sometimes your Pinterest board just doesn’t cut it), check out some of my favorite YouTube beauty gurus and get your girly on:
1. The OG of beauty gurus, Tanya Burr is an adorable Brit who vlogs her idyllic life in London and all things beauty.
2. Teni Panosian is newer to YouTube, but this California stunner specializes in soft, neutral, smoky eyes. Plus, her fashion videos are killer.
3. Lisa Eldridge is the makeup artist to the stars (Kate Winslet, Keira Knightley), and her less-is-more approach and obvious expertise make her a must-watch (keep an eye out for her holiday gift guides – AMAZING).
4. For a bit of Aussie sass, check out Chloe Morello’s channel. Not only does this Victoria’s Secret-looking beauty have a refreshingly candid persona, but she also gives us major makeup envy (as well as body envy…and hair envy…and life envy).
5. While Tati Westbrook’s in-depth makeup tutorials are worth visiting her channel for by themselves, the real gems are her “Hot or Not” and “First Impressions” videos in which she swatches and reviews new products and shows how they wear throughout the day. Brilliant.
There are hundreds more, but take a look around and see what strikes your fancy (I’m partial to the Brits)! Happy primping, beautiful!
Posted by Sophie