Holiday 2020: Presents with a Purpose
Absolutely nothing about 2020 has been normal, so it’s not surprising that the holiday season so far feels the same. Instead of party hopping, nogging with friends, and general merriment, it’s “one household” celebrations and Zoom toasts galore. Since the holidays are different this year, I’m taking the opportunity to approach my gifting strategy differently as well.
Regardless of how disconnected we may all feel as a result of this pandemic, I firmly believe there are still ways we can make this time special for those we love, near or far. Maybe because I can’t spend time with most of the people I’d like to, I’m trying to be even more thoughtful than usual about expressing my love and gratitude for their presence in my life through how I gift. I’m also thinking more deeply about how I can use my gift choices to support others in a time of need in a way that I definitely haven’t in the past. From shopping small (in person or online) to buying gifts from solo practitioners/service providers, making a positive impact with my gifting is how I’m choosing to roll. Case in point, I think my favorite gift may be the extra business I’m able to bring to my housekeeper, acupuncturist, facialist, IV therapist, manicurist, and massage therapist (yes, I’m high maintenance 😉), because I’m booking their wonderful services as gifts for my friends.
Not sure where to start? It’s actually very easy to do: Think about who in your life (friends, service providers, clients, family) could really use a business boost this year. Then think about who you’re gifting and see what matches up (e.g., the friend whose house is a mess could use the house cleaning, but the friend who detests being cold is probably not the best candidate for a cryotherapy gift certificate). Still drawing a blank? The below ideas may spark some inspiration for thoughtful gifts at price points to meet every budget. You’re welcome 😊
- Tea Gift Sets to get us through the winter months!
- You can never go wrong with a stocking stuffed with salsa!
- Virtual Animal Breakfasts. For the animal lover, any kid or anyone who still wants to experience being a sloth after NYE!
- Wear your love for the North End’s coolest spots on your sleeve, literally.
- A gift card to use for a cocktail at the Library Bar at Boston institution Yvonne’s; for oysters and Rosé steps from Boston Harbor next spring when State Street Provisions comes out of hibernation; and a hassle-free no-cook dinner comprised of rotisserie chicken + sides one cold winter’s eve from Branch Line. Buy all three or any of your favorite restaurants – there’s not one that doesn’t need more support!
- Fan of the #HiNeighbor lifestyle? ‘Gansett Gear. ‘Nuff said!
- GoLive Probiotics = PERFECT stocking stuffer for anyone on your list looking for an easy way to up their health game.
- For fans of Newport jewel Castle Hill Inn, receive a complimentary $100 gift card (with no expiration date, unlike most end-of-year offers) for every $500 in gift cards purchased. We won’t tell if you keep the complimentary gift card 😉
- A gift of health (who doesn’t want that this year!) like a Cryotherapy, Nutritional IV Therapy or Infrared Sauna session.
- Book a family photo session for you and your loved ones to memorialize making it through this crazy year with your favorite photographers; two of ours are Cheryl Richards or Eric Levin.
- Make a donation to the Boston Public Market on behalf of your favorite foodie.
- 12 Weeks, 24 Cocktails for only $99 thanks to the team at Bully Boy Distillers. Now this is the kind of virtual education we can get behind!
- One word: massage. Ain’t no one on earth who doesn’t need one right now.
- Christmas cookies move over, thanks to this Make-Your-Own-Nutella-Rozalach Kit. Yum 🙂
- Never anything wrong with a gift card for a day of beauty!
- Get an artisan cheese box delivered right to your giftee’s door.
- Tea of the Month Club? It’s gonna be a long cold winter…they’ll think of you with every sip!
So this holiday season, show those you love as friends or as professionals/businesses that they truly matter in your life. Any more ideas to add to the list? Would love to see your thoughts in the comments below!